177639 – “Sandrock”-12HP
Status – Operational
This locomotive was delivered new, in 1936, to the County Borough of Derby to work in connection with the construction of a by-pass at Spondon. It was later moved to a sewage works nearby where it stayed until it was preserved in 1979.
She spent many years at various preservation sites in the Manchester area, until 1994, when she was moved to her new home at Tilford.
181820 – “Red Dwarf”-16-20HP
Status – Operational
Built in 1936, this loco worked for most of its industrial life for the Severn Trent Water Authority, and was used in connection with the upkeep of the tidal defences on the Severn Estuary in the Gloucester area.
The locomotive was purchased in January 1994 from a private preservation site in Wales and has since been fitted with a replica cab built to an original Ruston design.
211609 – “Susan” – 20DL
Also known as War Department LOD/758173, Army AD22 and Lydd Ranges No. 4
Status – Under Overhaul
This locomotive was delivered new in 1941 to the Ministry of Defence (MoD) Command Ammunition Depot at Eastriggs, where it would have worked hauling munitions for the war effort. On 12/05/1971 it was replaced at Eastriggs by new Hunslet locomotives, three of which now reside at the OKLR. The locomotive was moved to MoD Barlow, Yorkshire, where it assisted in clearing the ammunition depot there to allow for the construction of Drax power station. On 15/02/1978 the locomotive moved again to Lydd Ranges, Kent, where they were used to transport personnel and equipment around the firing ranges. By this point the locomotive had gained the name “Susan” stencilled on their radiator tank.
In February 1989 the locomotive was sold out of military service and moved to Stoke Park Country Club, Buckinghamshire. This was presumably to assist in extensive works taking place to restore the manor house and gardens there around this time. The locomotive then passed through a couple of private owners before being bought by a member of the OKLR in a disassembled state, arriving at the railway on 02/07/2021. It is currently undergoing restoration to it’s military condition.
392117 – “Norden”
Status – Operational – (Loaned to Purbeck Mineral Mining Museam)
Built in 1956, this is the biggest internal combustion locomotive on the line. It was supplied new to a contractor for building the additional tunnels at Hadley Wood for British Railways when the East Coast main Line from Kings Cross was quadrupled. The locomotive subsequently worked at the Norden clay mines near Corfe Castle in Dorset before passing into preservation at the “Hampshire Narrow Gauge Group”. In September of 1992 the loco was purchased for use on the Old Kiln Light Railway
497760 – 40/48 DLG
RH-497760 was built in 1963 and started life working at the Silver Dale Colliery in Newcastle Upon Lyme. After a number moves to different collieries around Manchester and Staffordshire, a private buyer bought the locomotive in 1992 and has now made the long journey from Worcestershire to Surrey.